Dorsett , 1700's-1800's , Portland / ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

MHS Discussion Board » Surname Queries » D - F » Dorsett , 1700's-1800's , Portland / Gorham / Standish , ME « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Dorsett
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Jedediah Dorsett b. Aug.30, 1769 m. Susanna Libby (b. Jan.3, 1777 in Gorham, ME) Jan.12, 1797. Their children were Salome , Edmund , & Thomas born in Gorham and John , Jedediah , James , Dudley Folsom , & William born in Standish. I am a descendant of Edmund Dorsett who married Sophia Swett. Looking for information on Edmund's brothers and sister and for their descendants.

Andrew (dorsett)
Username: dorsett

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Brian,

My great-great-great grandfather was Thomas J. Dorsett(Steep Falls), ME), my great-great grandfather was Jesse Dorsett(Steep Falls) my grandfather was Stillman Dorsett(Steep Falls), grandfather was Raymond Dorsett. Some other Dorsett relatives from Steep Falls/Standish were Ida Dorsett(also owned land on Martha's Vinard). Not sure if any of this helps. We are probably of some distant relation.

Le Edmondson (edmondson)
Username: edmondson

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Andrew,

My grandmother Zelma Dorsett Swindell. Was Stillman Dorsett sister. My mother is Grace. I am looking for more information on Margaret chic. I do have the same info of Thomas Jefferson Dorsett. And a few more family members.
I also have where James ( Stillman) Chick . Margaret Chic's father married Abigail Edgecomb. Also from Standish/Steepfalls Me . But not sure of that.

Andrew (dorsett)
Username: dorsett

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2011 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Zelma had a twin Thelma and brother Stillman and brother Philip. Margaret Chic once went to a Phillip Sousa concert and loved the music so much that she named Philip Sousa Dorsett after the composer. Margaret went to Plymouth Normal School in Plymouth NH which is now known as Plymouth State University(I went there for my undergrad), she was an English teacher and was known for her piano playing. I knew Philip until he passed away a few years ago. He loved to sing and play the banjo. Philip was a great man.

Le (edmondson)

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

My mother Grace, the youngest of my grandmother zelma kids never really left home. I lived with my grandma till I was about 17. And again at 22. She was a wonderful lady. I called her grandma. She would tell me stories about when she was a little girl. And how her father would drive them from Maine to Florida for the summers in a model T. Does this maybe sound familiar to you? My grandma was a housewife. She made clothes for me when I was a kid. And a great cook.
Phillip sounded like a great man. I never knew these things about him. Or Margaret. I would like hear more bout them.

Nathan Berry Stewart (nathan_berry_stewart)
Username: nathan_berry_stewart

Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

My Mother was Harriet Arbutus (Dorsett) Stewart, her "Grandma Chic" died while in tallahassee Florida and is burried at the old Stewart/May/Hall Cemetery in Wakulla County Florida. Jesse Dorsett was a "Domestic Missionary" of the new Holiness Movement that was spreading across America in the early to mid 1900's and while here holding meetings in Tallahassee my Dad heard of him from his brother's wife, went to see the pretty daughters of this preacher man, fell head over heels in love with one of them, got saved, married, had seven kids with her, and the rest is history.
Aunt Zelma came to my Mother's funeral at Woodville Florida (unincorporated). That's the only time I remember seeing her. My mother spoke of her often along with all her siblings. Sh was especially fond of Stillman and was really sad about his drinking problem.
I found information that Thomas Dorsett and Sylvanus Chic both served in the same outfit in the Civil War and both were at Gettysburg and survived. Momma once told me that was why her Father (Jesse Dorsett) was against war. I found out also that I have ancestors in the Army Of Virginia at Gettysburg. Great Grandparents on both sides, Thomas Dorsett and Sylvanus Chic on the North - William James Stewart and Robert May for the South, all my Great Grandfathers. I find that to be amazing.
I don't know the ages but here's the children of Jesse and Grandma Dorsett (don't remember her name) Stillman, Harriet, Thelma and Zelma, Mura or muira (don't know the spelling) and Phillup.

Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

That should be PHILLIP, not Phillup sorry bout that.

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Roster of the 16th Maine Infantry Regiment
Winfield S. (Sylvanus) Chick is # 444 on the roster.
Thomas Dorsett is #730 on the roster.
http://www.americancivilwarforum.com/16th-maine-infantry-roster-1577325.html

I found them both on ancestor.com with their joining dates and place.

Leigh (edmondson)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Nathan,
I am Leigh, Zelma's granddaughter. i have a time line of the Dorsetts and Chick. Great -Grandma Chick Jesse's wife her name was Margaret. On the tine line i have, there is a Sylvanus Batchelper
Dorsett. There is a Thomas Jefferson Dorsett also. I think that my Uncle Clyde wrote these off of headstones. Not sure on this. I don"t know a lot about each side of the family. But would love to know as much as i can about them. I have a lot of people on this time line. Did Jesse Dorsett have brothers? On my time line it said he has 2 brothers Eugene and Howard. Have you herd of them? I have an ancestry.com site. it has been a few years sense i have been on there. Mura is the right spelling for her name. didn't know Philip had a drinking problem.

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

No, Phillip didn't have a drinking problem, Stillman did, Stillman was Raymond's dad. He spent WW2 in the Merchant Marine. I think he suffered PTSD from it. The Merchant Marine lost more lives than the U.S. Navy in WW2. Being scared all the time doesn't just go away when it's over, I can verify that from personal experience.
I Started with Harriet Arbutus Dorsett and kept following links and came to one page where it listed Sylvanus Chick and Thomas Dorsett joining the 16th Maine infantry Regiment the same year. I'm no longer on ancestor.com because I can't afford to keep it but may go back on it for a month or two so I can print family records for my offspring. Right now they don't seem to care, but when they get older they will. I traced my Grandmother, Maud (May) Stewart, my dad's mom's, family back to Mayfields England and found a Revolutionary War hero in that line.
Have you traced the Dorsetts back to England? I would guess Dorsettshire England.

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I remember Momma saying that when she was a little girl there was a woman in their village who had been scalped by indians and survived it. She also said there was indian in our blood from the Chick side. Ever heard this?

Leigh (edmondson)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I ment to write Stillman instead of Philip. Sorry about that. I remember Betsy emailing me info about the 16th Maine infantry regiment. I am back on ancestry.com for a while. I knew we where from England. But I haven't done any research there. But I will now. But I would like to know about the people I have on the time line also. I have heard bout our family having Indian blood. But not sure of what kind. Would like to know that also. Have you researched England? That is a a wild story about the Indian scalping.

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Yeah, the Indian scalping is quite wild, but my momma (Harriet Dorsett Stewart) said she remembered it from when she was a little girl, and the woman who had been scalped was old at the time. It is a very likely story.
there is a Dorsettshire England. The name Dorsett is what makes me thin that is likely where our Dorsett ancestors came from, like my May ancestors came from Mayfields England, (I traced the Mays all the way back, generation by generation).
Among my family it is thught that the Indian blood comes through the Chicks.
I am sure happy to have found this site.
Nate

Leigh (edmondson)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 29, 2013 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Nate.
This I my email address roxieredsix@yahoo.com. It seams that our emails from this site are going in to my junk mail. Not sure why.
Leigh

Leigh (edmondson)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 29, 2013 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

What year was your mother born? I have found about six family's with our family members in them. I think I found your site there also.

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

My Mother, Harriet Arbutus Dorsett, was born in May of 1910. (Arbutus is a wildflower)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I actually wasn't in a "war", unless you count the "Cold War". I served in the U.S. Navy from 1-10-62 to 6-6-66. Three Med Cruises, one Carabbean Cruise, and many training operations in the Chesapeak Bay area.
I can reply to e-mails but havn't been able to send to new addresses. I'm still trying to figure that out.
Send me an e-mail and I'll see if I can reply.
natstew44@hotmail.com

Leigh (edmondson)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Do you live in Florida or up north? I remember going to Florida with my grandma Zelma as a little kid. I must have been 4 or 5.
We road on a trail ways bus. How many brothers and sister do you have? I have talk on the phone with Ron Raymond once. His daughter Jessica also. My mother Grace was the youngest of 12 kids. I lived with my grandma most of my life. Except for when I lived in North Carolina and Ocala Florida. I was a kid when I lived in those states.

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I live in Woodville Florida, (unincorporated) South of Tallahassee. I have four brothers (Asa McGowen Jr., Jesse Arendell, Nathan Berry (me), Charles Perry, and Jim Lee. Two sisters, Ellen Alvenia, and Margarite Inez. We are scattered all over the country too, kinda like my Mother's siblings, and for the same reason.
I remember Carl Swindell and I think Paul Swindell. They would be your uncles.
Wow, twelve kids, how on earth did they manage? I think I heard of one of them playing a guitar in a band in Nashville? I know your Grandma Zelma was very intelligent, as were all the Dorsett children. When my Mother went to GED classes the instructer told her that she was better qualified to teach the class than him. She was taken out of public school in the seventh grade and sent to a religious school. The school she was sent to was not recognized by the State, but was academically way ahead of the public schools.
Have you trried sending me an e-mail? I haven't recieved one yet.

Leigh (edmondson)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I did try to send you a email the same day. But I see that you didn't get it. I will try again. Not sure who was playing in a band. Haven't heard that one. but I am finding out things I didn't know about the family. I have found a Robert Rowe on the Dorsett side that was in the revolutionary war. I wonder if grandma went to the same school as your mother. I think my uncle Roy was born in Tallahassee. He died in the early 90's. he worked for TVA. He fell into a flume. Me and my brother ( Jerome) would go to his house in the summer when we were kids. My grandma would tell me stories when I was little about the Model T. They would drive to Florida. Stories when she was a kid. I do miss her so much. I live in Portland ,Tn. It's a small town.

Betty Sue Dorsett (komnickb)
Username: komnickb

Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

My name is Betty sue Dorsett, youngest daughter of Charlie James Dorsett and Sarah Ida Phernetton. We are from Tullahoma, Tn. Does anyone have any Dorsett relatives from here? My father, Charlie, was born in 1900. Several of my half brothers moved up North to Indiana to start their families. My email is komnickb@yahoo.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: