Long-Awaited Children's Gate Dedicated
July 30, 2012
The much anticipated Children's Gate in Longfellow Garden was dedicated at 1pm on Saturday, June 2nd following the MHS Annual Meeting. Due to the rain, the program began inside with remarks by newly appointed MHS Executive Director Steve Bromage, Richard D'Abate, MHS Board Member Noni Ames, as well as Longfellow Garden Club representatives Imelda Schaefer and Carmen Weatherbie. MHS Education Coordinator Bridget McCormick introduced a wonderful Longfellow poetry reading by two 3rd grade students from the Lyseth School, Fiona Trusty and Nathaniel Hanscom. Toasts of lemonade followed celebrating the Gate and Richard D'Abate upon his retirement. The event then moved outside as approximately 75 members and supporters stood with umbrellas in hand and cheered as Fiona and Nathaniel snipped the thick red ribbon.
The gate was originally designed by the architect Alexander Wadsworth Longfellow to honor his Uncle Henry's famous affection for children. It was installed soon after the original library opened in 1907 but was removed in the 1960s in dilapidated condition.
To recreate the Gate, Maine Historical Society embarked on a special fundraising campaign following the library renovation and Longfellow Garden restoration. This fundraising effort was initiated by a generous gift from the Longfellow Garden Club, the Olmsted Alliance (now part of MHS), the Garden Club Federation of Maine, Oakhurst Dairy and many other committed friends.
For more information:
Maine Historical Society preserves and shares Maine's story to enrich life in contemporary Maine.