Maine Historical Society Staged Re-Opening Begins July 8, 2020
July 2, 2020
Portland, Maine: Maine Historical Society (MHS) will re-open to the public on a limited basis beginning Wednesday, July 8. While basic operations and online research services have continued since the COVID-19 pandemic emerged in Maine, MHS has been closed to the public since mid-March.
Re-opening will be a staged approach to reflect the fluidity and ongoing nature of the pandemic, and in accordance with Maine state guidelines and recommendations. More info.
Located on its one-acre Portland campus at 489 Congress Street, MHS is comprised of the Brown Research Library, Museum and Galleries, Museum Store, Longfellow Garden, Wadsworth-Longfellow Family House, Public Programs, and Maine Memory Network, an online collaborative platform accessible anywhere via the internet.
MHS employees and guests will wear masks, and practice physical distancing and good hygiene. Staff will participate in regular cleaning/disinfecting of high touch surfaces and public facing locations.
To further help reduce virus spread:
Public access to the Museum, Galleries and Library will be limited by appointment or pre-ticketing only. This allows for proper 6-foot social distancing within each facility’s capacity. Gallery walk-ins are subject to availability, and Library walk-ins are not allowed.
ALL visitors and patrons MUST wear masks and practice 6-foot physical distancing to be admitted to MHS. Strategically placed signage will encourage and instruct on required actions. More info.
MHS PUBLIC SCHEDULE AND ACCESS LIMITS:
• Brown Research Library: Wednesday – Saturday, 1:00 – 4:00 pm. Limited to 4 patrons at one time per afternoon. More info.
• MHS Museum/Galleries: Wednesday – Saturday, 10:00 am – 5:30 pm. Limited to 5 visitors at a time during a 90-minute block. People are urged to book their visits in advance, using online ticketing or by phone. More info.
**Scheduled museum admission occurs during these 90-minute allotments: 10:00 – 11:30 am; 11:30 am – 1:00 pm; 1:00 – 2:30 pm; 2:30 – 4:00 pm; 4:00 – 5:30 pm.**
• MHS Store: Wednesday – Saturday, 10:00 am – 5:30 pm. Limited to 5 shoppers at one time. If the quota has been met, incoming customers must wait outside until there is room to enter. Shoppers can access and order from our online store anytime. More info.
• Longfellow Garden: Wednesday – Saturday, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm. Limited to 10 visitors at a time. Guests will wear masks when social distancing is not possible. Visitors are asked to self-monitor the 10-person threshold, and limit their time when thresholds are met.
• Wadsworth-Longfellow House: CLOSED until further notice.
• Public Programming: ONLINE the remainder of 2020. Events and programs are booked as online offerings exclusively for the foreseeable future. MHS will reevaluate this policy for 2021 events. More info.
• Maine Memory Network: ONLINE 24/7. This free, collaborative digital platform brings Maine history directly to you, with access to our major Bicentennial exhibition, educational and history resources, plus thousands of historical items contributed by 270+ organizations: More info.
# # #
For more information:
The Maine Historical Society promotes the understanding and enjoyment of Maine history.