- Benefits listed above for one person with a valid education ID or email address
- Order Student/Educator Membership
It's Easy to Become a Member or Renew
Benefits of membership
All memberships are active for 12 calendar months from the date of purchase.
- Free admission to the Wadsworth-Longfellow House, a National Historic Landmark
- Free admission to the changing exhibitions in the MHS Museum
- Free or discounted admission to lectures, workshops, and other special events
- Invitations to exclusive members-only events including holiday parties, exhibition openings, and annual gatherings
- Friend level members and above: Free admission and other reciprocal benefits at 900+ museums, gardens, planetariums, and historic sites across North America through the NARM (North American Reciprocal Museum Association) and ROAM (Reciprocal Organization of Associated Museums)
- 10% discount on purchases in the Museum Store and online store
- 10% discount on historical image reproductions at VintageMaineImages.com
- One year subscription to Maine History, the only publication dedicated to scholarly research on Maine history
- One year subscription to the MHS newsletter
- Weekly e-Connection linking you with online exhibits, news, and events
Library and Research Services
- Unlimited use of the Brown Research Library
- Unlimited on campus access to databases such as Ancestry.com Library Edition, Sanborn Digital Maps of Maine, HeritageQuest Online, and AmericanAncesters.org
- 10% discount on fee-based research services through the Brown Research Library
- Use of non-flash digital cameras in the Brown Research Library
- Remote access to MHS databases as they become available online - including Maine History journal - fully text-searchable and available for download
- The satisfaction of preserving Maine history for generations to come
Levels of Membership and Benefits
(Click on membership level name for more information and to complete your transaction)
- Individual benefits for two people in the same household.
- Order Household Membership
- Household level membership benefits plus:
- Free admission and other reciprocal benefits at 900+ museums, gardens, planetariums, and historic sites across North America through the NARM (North American Reciprocal Museum Association) and ROAM (Reciprocal Organization of Associated Museums)
- Four guest passes to the Wadsworth-Longfellow House and MHS Museum
- Named recognition in the MHS Annual Report
- Order Friend Membership
Gifts of $500 or more will be assigned to the Annual Fund
Membership gifts of $1,000 or more are recognized in our leadership donor society, the 1822 Leadership Circle.
- Advisor level membership benefits plus:
- Invitations to exclusive events, including exhibition and collections viewings, receptions in special Maine locations, and small group discussions with our Executive Director and special guests
- Periodic correspondence from our Executive Director about MHS activities and trending topics related to history and the state of Maine
- 25% discount on MHS Museum Store and Vintage Maine Images purchases
- Order Contributor Membership
- Contributor level membership benefits plus:
- 11 x 14 archival quality print of your choosing from Vintage Maine Images
- Order Partner Membership
- Partner level membership benefits plus:
- Customized, private tour for up to four guests of MHS's latest exhibition, Brown Research Library, or Riverside Collections Facility
- Order Benefactor Membership
Additional Levels of Membership
- One membership card, with the institutions name affixed. This card may be used by up to 2 employees of the institution at any one time.
- Subscriptions to Maine History, the only periodical dedicated to scholarly research on Maine history, the MHS newsletter, and our e-connection linking you with historical content, news, and events.
- Free access to our Brown Library and online databases, and a 10% discount on research services.
- Free admission to our changing museum exhibitions, the Wadsworth-Longfellow House, and free or discounted tickets to our public programs.
- Invitations to exhibit openings, member parties, trips, lectures, and special programs.
- Order Institutional Membership
- Public Library Memberships include seven (7) passes to be used by library patrons.
- Library passes are transferrable to patrons of the purchasing library.
- With the pass, up to four (4) of your patrons receive admission to the following: Museum Galleries (Free); Wadsworth-Longfellow House ($5.00); MHS's Research Library - Day Use ($5.00); MHS Museum Store (10% off) Must show library card or pass
- Maine Historical Society's biannual publication, Maine History, as well as MHS's Member Newsletter are included and will be sent to the participating library.
- For more information on this program, or to enroll in this membership, please download our Public Library Membership and Pass Program Enrollment Form.
- Order Public Library Membership and Pass online
Feel free to contact us at (207) 774-1822 or email@example.com if you have any questions about membership at Maine Historical Society or wish to join or renew by telephone.
If you prefer, download our membership application, print and mail to us at Maine Historical Society, 489 Congress Street, Portland, Maine 04101.